View Full Essay
UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA - OKANAGAN
CHEMISTRY 111 COURSE OUTLINE
Winter 2012 – Term 1
Professor: Dr. T. Wrzesniewski (vres-ne-ski)
Office: S 210, Local 795-71. Office hours: M,F: 10:00 - 12:00, W: 10 - 12 and 2:00 - 3:15, or by appointment
e-mail : email@example.com
Course: Principles of Chemistry I.
Blackboard Connect : I will use Connect to maintain a calendar for the course (dates for quizzes, term tests etc), and to provide course related materials and links to potentially useful web pages.
Texts: “General Chemisty: Principles and Modern Applications” 10/e, Petrucci, Herring, Madura, Bissonnette (2010)
'Chemistry 111/121 Laboratory Manual" - UBCO Course Pack
Other Requirements: a scientific calculator and laboratory safety glasses.
Prerequisite: Chemistry 11. Principles of Mathematics 12 or equivalent is strongly recommended.
Note: This course is not open to students with Chem 12 and Math 12.
Introduction (Chapter 1, Appendixes A, B and C ~2 hours)
* chemistry and the nature of matter
* the scientific method: theory and experiment
* physical quantities: measurement, units, significant figures
Matter and Stoichiometry Review (Chapters 2 – 4 ~6 hrs)
* simple atomic structure, subatomic particles
* molecular composition, empirical and molecular formulas
* inorganic formulae and nomenclature
* moles, chemical reactions and equations, stoichiometry
* limiting reactants, yields, solution stoichiometry and concentrations
Atomic Structure and Periodicity (Chapters 8 and 9 ~10 hrs)
* light and matter: electromagnetic radiation, absorption and emission spectra
* quantum theory and the Bohr atom
* wave mechanics, orbitals: quantum numbers, s- p- and d-orbitals
* electronic configuration: electron spin, orbital energies, aufbau, periodic table
* periodic properties: atomic...