View Full Essay
Assignment #4: Case Problem “Stateline Shipping and Transport Company”
Read the “Stateline Shipping and Transport Company” Case Problem on pages 273-274 of the text. Analyze this case, as follows:
1. In Excel, or other suitable program, develop a model for shipping the waste directly from the 6 plants to the 3 waste disposal sites.
2. Solve the model you developed in #1 (above) and clearly describe the results.
3. In Excel, or other suitable program, Develop a transshipment model in which each of the plants and disposal sites can be used as intermediate points.
4. Solve the model you developed in #3 (above) and clearly describe the results.
5. Interpret the results and draw conclusions that address the question posed in the case problem. What are the limits of the study? Write at least one paragraph.
There are two deliverables for this Case Problem, the Excel spreadsheets and an accompanying written description/explanation. Please submit both of them electronically via the dropbox.
1) The model for the transportation problem consists of 18 decision variables, representing the number of barrels of wastes transported from each of the 6 plants to each of the 3 waste disposal sites:
[pic]= Number of Barrels transported per week from plant ‘i’ to the j-th waste disposal site, where i = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and j = A, B, C.
The objective function of the manager is to minimize the total transportation cost for all shipments. Thus the objective function is the sum of the individual shipping costs from each plant to each waste disposal site:
Minimize Z = 12[pic]+ 15[pic]+ 17[pic]+ 14[pic]+ 9[pic]+ 10[pic]+ 13[pic]+ 20[pic] +11[pic]
+17[pic] +16[pic] +19[pic] +7[pic] +14[pic] +12[pic] +22[pic] +16[pic] +18[pic]
The constraints in the model are the number of barrels of wastes available per week at each plant and the number of barrels of wastes accommodated at each waste disposal site. There are 9...